Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Afloat at Tenacatita

Celebrating Christmas afloat is a simpler, stripped-down version of the shore side experience.  The celebration of Christ’s birth is quieter, intimate, and more reflective.  Hymns and carols from CDs and the iPod fill our space.  Between songs, we hear the sound of breaking surf rather than commercials enticing us to buy something that we may want but don’t need.  I’ve replaced last minute dashing about with stepping down the transom ladder and slipping into the warm ocean water for a refreshing swim. 

For decorations, I wrapped an empty wine bottle in silver garland transforming it into a Christmas tree for the cockpit. 

This year, I made a flag proclaiming the ‘Joy’ of the season which now flies from the port spreader. 

Down below in the main salon surrounded by garland and tea lights Santa Claus reigns from a corner shelf keeping track of who’s naughty and who’s nice.
Although I miss my family and sharing our traditions, I thoroughly enjoy the quiet, contemplative celebration afloat. 

We wish you a very Merry Christmas.  

 
  

1 comment:

Ken and Susan said...

So nice to see your smile again Nancy! Glad you made it safely on your recent crossing. My Ken and I are still slogging to work in the rain, sometimes on the bus, sometimes in our car, but more and more on our bikes. Good for getting back in cruiser form. ;)
Thanks for the inspiring pics. Take care, Susan and Ken